Planning & Zoning

Andy Price, County Planner

Abbeville County Planning and Zoning Department
903 W. Greenwood St.
Abbeville, SC 29620

Phone: (864) 366-2400, ext. 64
Fax: (864) 366-1802
Hours: 8:30AM – 5:00PM, Monday – Friday

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I occupy a camper or RV on my lot?

A. In some cases, yes–in many cases, no. In no case can a camper serve as your primary residence. Campers are allowed for periodic stays in a Forest Agricultural zoning district, provided certain conditions are met and approval is issued by the Planning and Zoning department. Campers and RV’s may also be allowed under certain circumstances in the Mobile Home Park (MHP) district and in business and industrial zones, but may not be occupied in the R-8 and GR residential districts at any time.
(Section 3.4.5 of the Abbeville County Zoning Ordinance)

Q. Can I put more than one home on my lot?

A. Determining how many dwellings can be located on a certain parcel depends on a number of factors including lot size, zoning classification, and the type of homes involved. Please contact the Planning and Zoning department for assistance with questions of this type.

Q. Can I operate a business in my home or on my residential property?

A. Yes, a Home Occupation is permitted in any residential district or residential structure provided that certain conditions are met. Generally, the appearance of the property’s exterior must remain residential and business must be conducted within the principal structure by family members who occupy the home. The business must not display products visible from the street or conduct retail sales and other activities that generate unusual traffic. Forest Agriculture districts permit limited use of accessory buildings and outside workforce for Home Occupations. Other conditions may apply as listed in section 3.7 of the Abbeville County Zoning Ordinance.

Q. I’m moving a mobile home onto a lot that already has a mobile home on it that has been abandoned. Can I use it for storage?

A. No, The definition of “accessory uses or structures” does not include mobile homes.
(Section of the Abbeville County Zoning Ordinance)