Abbeville County Auditor

Jessica Scott, County Auditor

Abbeville County Adm. Complex
903 W. Greenwood St.
Suite 1200
Abbeville, SC 29620

Phone: (864) 366-5312, ext. 59
Fax: (864) 366-6632
Hours: 8:30AM – 5:00PM, Monday – Friday

Mission Statement and Responsibilities

The county Auditor, an elected official, maintains records on all county real estate and personal property assessed valuations. The Auditor also provides Homestead Exemption for the disabled and the senior citizens of the County. Our mission is to ensure that all tax payers are equally and fairly taxed in accordance with South Carolina laws and regulations established by the South Carolina Department of Revenue as defined in Title 12 Chapter 39 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How are property taxes calculated?

A. Each piece of property is assessed based on its use. An assessment ratio is multiplied by the market value of the property to determine the assessed value. The applicable millage rates are multiplied by the assessed value to determine the taxes due.

Q. I have received a tax bill on a vehicle I have sold. What do I need to do?

A. If you did not transfer your license plate to another vehicle you may disregard the tax notice. However, when you sell a vehicle you may be entitled to a prorated refund of taxes.

Q. When I purchased my car, the dealership said they would take care of my taxes and tag. Why do I now have a bill?

A. The dealer was referring to sales tax and tag, not property taxes which are due 120 days from the date of purchase.

Q. If I want to transfer my license plate to a replacement vehicle, what do I now do?

A. Take the registration for your previous vehicle along with the title to your replacement vehicle to the DMV and register your replacement vehicle until the registration on your previous vehicle expires.

Q. I am a senior citizen. Do I qualify for a reduction on my motor vehicle tax?

A. Currently there are no discounts on the vehicle taxes because of age. However, the DMV will discount your vehicle renewal fee by two dollars if you are over 64 years of age. If you are over 65 years of age, then four dollars will be discounted from the renewal fee. These discounts must be asked for and do not automatically take effect upon reaching the required age. Application can be made at your local DMV office.

Homestead Exemption Program

How do I qualify?

  1. I hold complete fee simple title or life estate to my primary residence.
  2. As of December 31 preceding the tax year of the exemption, I was a legal resident of South Carolina for one calendar year.
  3. As of December 31 preceding the tax year of the exemption, I was 65 years of age, or was declared totally and permanently disabled by a state or federal agency having the authority to make such a declaration, or was legally blind as certified by a licensed ophthalmologist.

If statements 1, 2, and 3 are true, you are qualified to receive the Homestead Exemption.

Where do I apply?

You must apply for the Homestead Exemption at the County Auditor’s office. If you are unable to go to Auditor’s office, and agent can make application for you. Contact the Auditor’s office for details.

What documents do I need?

You will need to provide proof of your eligibility. If you are applying due to age, bring your birth certificate, Medicaid card, Medicare card, or driver’s license. If you are applying due to disability or blindness, bring documentation from the State or Federal agency certifying the disability.

Do I need to re-apply annually?

No, only in the case of the death of the eligible owner or if you move to a new home will re-application be necessary; however, any changes that may affect your eligibility must be reported to your County Auditor immediately. They are:

  1. Change in disability status
  2. Any change of ownership
  3. Rental of your home
  4. Remarriage of the surviving spouse

What is the benefit?

The program exempts the first $50,000 of the value of your home from all property taxes.

Need Assistance?

Questions regarding eligibility status and application procedures should be directed to the County Auditor.